Alas, yesterday didn’t see a lot of progress what with trying to get some hours in at my paying work and Gil learning to operate the excavator – he’s good but there is a learning curve. Today will be my turn as Gil is in class all day. Luckily, we are on a week rate, where it’s no cheaper to finish Friday vs yesterday (Week rate is cheaper than 5 days at day rate). I just hope we are done with the heavy work by Friday, because I’d rather not go in to the next week. We are only supposed to operate it 8 hours a day, probably to guard against excess wear and tear and to earn the rental guys more money, but yesterday we only managed 6 before it was time for bed and we were exhausted (at 8 pm). Here are some photos, but I’m a day behind, so they are actually from Monday night:
In case you are wondering, I have saved two manageable clumps of the huge front lilac to replant in a better place. And it is lucky I wanted to replace my lawn with permaculture-style forest gardens anyway, because the lawn is toast! Since these pictures I have only put up an additional 2 sheets of blueboard, and we have backfilled around half of the north side, we still need to dig out the last bit of this side, insulate, and refill to be on track, since I wanted to be on the east side of the house today to be on target. At least my body gets a break while I do my desk work!